Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fondling a Tranny!



I know what you're thinking, but you're wrong. Just because Jacq is away for the week doesn't mean I've fallen into depraved sexual habits...I'm referring of course to the stunning carbon Ibis Tranny hardtail I built for my great mate Tim Wilding to race in his attempt to recapture the New Zealand Xterra title he held in 2007. Tim's form is excellent right now - here he is hammering his Ibis Mojo as part of the winning Major Debt team at last weekends AyUp 24 Hours of N-Duro in Rotorua. (Picture courtesy of Helen Brumby)



It's a given that I would do the very best job possible of building the Tranny for him so he can just go out and race it hard - I thought you might enjoy the build log of this cool job.



As I said in the last blog, the frame arrived too late on Friday for me to get into it in time for Tim to ride it last weekend, but once Monday dawned I got stuck into it...firstly, I vigorously applied carbon paste to the inside of the seat tube and gently but firmly inserted the seat post and saddle.



Once the frame is safely secured into my stand, I go around it and make sure that before I start bolting bits on it's prepped. I begin by removing the derailleur hanger, lightly greasing it and re-installing it. I checked the torque of the bolts on the interesting rear triangle sub-frame assembly, but of course Ibis had it bang on. I also made sure the cable stops were all on tight.



Then I applied a liberal layer of polish to the frame. This helps protect it as I build it from my greasy fingers, as well as making it easier to clean once it's been dirtied up on the trail. I do this with any bike I build as a matter of course.



I fitted the cool chainstay protector - despite not being a DW-link Mojo I figured the Ibis logo would protect the chainstay from damage...



Next I chucked in the rear wheel I built for Tim last week. The axle fitted snugly between the dropouts with the wheel perfectly centred - you'd be surprised how many top-end "boutique" frames aren't close to being aligned this well!



Next I moved onto the Fox F100 15QR forks. I fit the crown race using my Park Crown Race Setting tool and my HAMMER.



Then, with the head bearings installed, I fit the forks into the head tube, add the maximum amount of spacers I think Tim might conceivably need, then the stem before marking the steerer 5mm above where I will cut it. It's unlikely Tim will need it this high but he can always drop the stem and trim the steerer if necessary later - as I always say, you can cut something down but you can't cut it back up again!



Once it's cut down and filed smooth, I smash in a star nut to pull the headset all together, then install the fork into the frame and tighten the headset up properly.



Next I fitted the front wheel...



Then I moved back down the bike and fitted the rear XTR mech. Mmm, carbolicious!



Next I chased and faced the bottom bracket shell, although in the case of this bike it just meant I easily spun my tool in and out - no actual work was required due to the impressive finishing work Ibis had done.



The b/b cups spun in by hand, then I torque them up. I do love how easy external bottom brackets and cranks are to work with...



The next part of the job involved removing the stock XTR chainrings and replacing them with the interesting Rotor Q rings.



The unusual shape of these rings is designed to reduce the "dead spots" in the pedalling revolution, thereby increasing power.



I installed the chainset, then had the slightly tricky task of fitting the XTR front mech at just the right height to clear the rings at their highest rotation.



Fitting the chainset was when I had my first and only stumble on this job - somehow the left-hand crank pre-load bolt had been missed out of or lost from the build kit, so I had to order another from Shimano NZ. This meant I couldn't fit the left-hand crank properly, but I still fitted the XTR pedals - I can check gears with just the right-hand crank fitted.



Back up front now - time to fiddle with the Tranny's cock...

pit. I carefully installed the Easton carbon handlebars.



Then back down below to fit the chain.



Next were the controls. Brake levers, gear levers and grips installed.



Now I can hook up the rear gear cable and adjust the rear derailleur.



Followed by the front derailleur. The shifting with the Rotor rings is definitely not as crisp as an all XTR set up, but was actually surprisingly good...



Then it was the rear brake's turn. The frame was already disc faced, so it was just a matter of working out the spacing - easy with the washer kit provided with the XTR caliper. I am a huge fan of Shimano engineering - they just get it absolutely right so much of the time, and these lovely disc brakes are a classic example of that; light, simple to service and so, so powerful.



The front brake was even easier, thanks to the post mount set up...



By this time I had run out of day - dinner and family beckoned. All that remained was to shorten the brake hoses and fit the crank bolt when it arrived.



The next morning the courier duly dropped off the bolt - thanks to Sheppards for their swift and efficient service! As soon as I could hit the shop I finished installing the cranks and shortened the brake hoses. The brakes didn't even need a bleed, although I gave them one anyway just to be absolutely certain no air had got into the system.

Then it was time to ride. I took the Tranny and rode her hard - a fifteen minute test loop near my shop was enough to check she was functioning perfectly, as well as to establish that this would be an absolute weapon in the hands of a trained athlete as powerful as Tim Wilding. In traditional bike test parlance, she was stiff and responsive, with acceleration that defied belief. The light wheels helped, of course, but the frame itself felt lively and solid, yet lithe and lissome. Impressive indeed...



Arty shot up the skirts of the Tranny.



I then had to undo some of the work I'd done to pack it up. Tim's friend Dom was swinging by to collect it and fly it up to Taupo. I wanted to make sure it arrived in as pristine a condition as it left, so spent a good deal of time binding the Tranny in bubble wrap, cardboard, foam and tape.



Dom collected it that evening, and apparently it arrived unscarred by the airline baggage handlers - no mean feat judging by some of the carnage I've seen over the years, so I was glad to hear they hadn't smashed the Tranny's box.

When Tim finally got a chance to ride the Tranny on Saturday, he sent me this text.
Bragh, that bike is searingly fast. I'm in the middle of the first ride and it's magic. Front end is turning beautifully.
Hopefully it carries him to great success on the 18th at Xterra - best of luck, bro!

Thanks for reading, Oli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oli, sorry I know this is an old post but just came across it while doing some reading about the ibis tranny. I'm thinking about buying one frame only and building it up. The question is the forks I have are Fox F120's and I know the tranny is designed around a 100mm fork. Have you built any with 120mm forks? Do you think it would make a big difference?
Cheers, Jules

Oli said...

Hi Jules. To be honest I don't think it would be ideal in terms of handling, I'm afraid. I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure, but I'm a big believer in following the frame builder's recommendations in this sort of area. Cheers, Oli